Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Scotia Barrens Provides Again

It seems that almost everytime I go spend time at the Scotia Barrens game lands, I get a new year tick. So this evening I decided to make a quick stop at the 10-acre pond, after spending some time at Colyer Lake watching the osprey hunt that is.
 
 Osprey with a yellow-perch.
This is one of three osprey that were present at Colyer this evening.
 
I left Colyer when the thunder storm hit and made my way to Scotia's 10-acre pond, stopping on Circleville Road to check out a group of ducks that were dabbling in the cornfields. 3 canada geese, 7 mallards, 2 blue-winged teal, and 7 wood ducks were present.
 
Blue-winged teal pair.
The wood ducks, being wood ducks, retreated to the cover of the corn stuble before I could get a shot.
 
When I got to the 10-acre pond I was greated by many red-winged blackbirds as usual. Also present were white-throated sparrow, eastern towhee, american goldfinch, mallard, canada geese, and solitary sandpiper.
 
Eastern towhee pair, male on right.

White-throated sparrow
 
I also had great up close looks with blue gray gnatcatchers, a tick for my year list, which made for awesome photos. I just wish the lighting would have been a bit more cooperative.
 
Blue gray gnatcatcher
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment